Confusion over schools opening

Education Local

CONFUSION reigned supreme yesterday following conflicting reports that schools opening had been deferred from today to Wednesday this week.

 

In an interview yesterday, Primary and Secondary Education ministry spokesperson Patrick Zumbo told NewsDay that schools would be opening on Wednesday this week.

Schools were due for opening today for the third term, but speculation was rife that opening would be deferred in the wake of heightened political tensions following last week’s disputed elections.

 

Zumbo said:

“This is to notify that schools are now opening on Wednesday 6 September 2023. The nation will be advised of the new closing date,” he said.

 

Information permanent secretary, Ndavaningi Mangwana, however, tweeted:

“SCHOOLS OPENING UPDATE: This is to notify that schools in Harare are now opening on Wednesday 6 September 2023,” which added to the confusion as boarding schools had already started welcoming learners since Saturday.

 

Then later during the day the Education ministry issued a statement saying:

“The Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education wishes to confirm that there is no deviation from the original school calendar. The general public is hereby informed that as announced before the third term begins on September 4, 2023 and ends on December 1, 2023. There has been no change to the calendar and for any official news concerning the school calendar, formal channels of communication will be used, not social media.

“For general queries and enquiries, members of the public are advised to contact their local districts and provincial education offices as well as ministry’s toll free line 317.”

 

And again late yesterday afternoon the Ministry of Information issued yet another statement saying:

“Reference is made to earlier communication on the deferment of opening of schools in Zimbabwe.

NewsDay