Cornered Drug Seller Swallows Mbanje
A Bulawayo man was rushed to the hospital after a small pack of dagga/mbanje he had swallowed got stuck in his throat as police detectives closed in on him.
Prosecutors told the court that detectives received a tip-off that Shadreck Marumure (37) was selling dagga at his home in the Entumbane suburb.
The detectives descended on Marumure’s home last week on Friday at around 4 AM to conduct investigations.
Upon seeing the detectives, Marumure allegedly reached for a pack of dagga that he had placed on the chair in his bedroom and tried to swallow it.
Unfortunately, the packet got stuck in his throat and choked him, forcing him to cough persistently.
It is further alleged that the detectives got suspicious and tried to force him to spit it but he could not as it was firmly stuck in his throat.
When the detectives searched the house, they found two small packs wrapped in Marumure’s underwear while hidden under his mattress and they arrested him.
They rushed him to Mpilo Central Hospital where health staff managed to remove the pack that was stuck in his throat.
It is estimated that the recovered dagga has a street value of ZWL$247 500.
Marumure appeared for trial before Western Commonage Courts magistrate Shepherd Mjanja facing a charge of selling mbanje.
He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was remanded in custody to Monday next week for continuation of trial. | B-Metro